Wednesday, September 4, 2019

North Korea’s human rights: What's not being talked about




-URL of Article: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44234505

-Image from Article:
In a photo taken on November 21, 2017, children stand besides a railway track in the industrial city of Chongjin on North Korea's northeast coast.

-Summary/Reaction: This article details what really goes on and the conditions people are facing in North Korea today. Isolated from the world, North Korea has been ruled by the Kim family for three generations. The citizens show full devotion to the family and the current leader Kim Jun Un. If the citizens do not give their full devotion they will be killed. The citizens are forced into labor. They send hundreds of thousands of people to work overseas for cheap labor. This was proven when Mr. Adams said, "Many overseas workers live in a monitored dormitory where there is no freedom of movement, rendering them essentially prisoners. The revenue the workers' get-go mostly to the North Korean government which is a lot of North Koreas revenue. revenue. The malnutrition in North Korea is also horrendous. People in North Korea are starving and are forced to eat things like grass and mineral-infused water. My reaction to this article is negative - I think that the conditions in North Korea need to change drastically and I would never support this if this was happening in the United States. I think that North Korea needs to change its laws completely and start helping their citizens.

-History Connection: I can connect this with slavery and the slave trade in 1619 in the United States. In North Korea, people are getting sent overseas to work cheap labor. They are monitored and are basically prisoners. This is the exact same with the slave trade, African Americans were sent overseas to work and they were treated unfairly. Just like how they are treated like prisoners the African Americans were treated the same. African Americans were also malnourished just like how the North Korean Citizens where. There are many ways the North Korean conditions compare to Slavery in the United States.

-Question(s) for Discussion: If you where a North Korean citizen protest the government even with the risk of getting killed? If not what would you do?

11 comments:

  1. I agree that conditions in North Korea have to change in order for the citizens to live a better life.If I were a North Korean citizen, I would not protest because as soon as I do something illegal, I would get taken by the government immediately after saying a couple words, and I doubt most North Koreans are brave enough to support me in protesting. Some North Koreans would defect to another country. I would defect to another country as an act of defiance to the regime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that North Korea needs to start making changes. As mentioned in the borgenproject website, forty percent of North Korea's population has fallen into poverty and many are struggling to survive. Knowing the current struggles in North Korea, I also had a negative reaction towards this article. If I was a North Korean citizen, I would not risk my life to protest because it would not make any changes to the current situation. Instead,I would, if I could, flee the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 100% agree with you. There are so many current struggles that needs to be changed. People are struggling to survive. North Korea needs to change.

      Delete
  3. Conditions in Korea should change for the sake of people and its future children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. North Korea presently has problems with its population, and I agree that this needs to be changed. Citizens of North Korea are stuck in the country without a way to fight back. Fleeing the country seems the most reasonable form of action as a North Korean citizen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. North Korea is having a lot of problems with the lifestyle and conditions being bad. If I was a korean citizen I would not protest the government because there is a big chance you or someone else will be killed. Instead I would
    just leave the country if I was able too- Dylan Sposito

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you that North Korea needs to change, however i feel that there is a common misconception that North Korea is quite literally apocalyptic. This just isnt true the capital of North Korea is Pyongyang and it has a sense of normalcy. Although, these negative exaggerations do come from some truth. North Koreans are very often mistreated as listed in your article. My point is that North Korea isnt a completely lost country with minor changes to their government the country cold drastically change to become a functioning, and beneficial country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Briana Conlon: I also agree with the fact that there needs to be a change made to North Koreas government and leaders. The people of North Korea are forced into labor and treated poorly by their leader. I believe that a country's government should protect the people and not threaten them. If I was a citizen of North Korea, I would risk my life to protest for rights and freedom from the government. To achieve this I would probably gather several people to stand up and protest to overthrow or make changes to the government because the more people the bigger the impact can be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i agree that the condition of north korean citizens should change because they deserve better and they deserve to be treated equally

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also agree that there needs to be a drastic change to the North Korean government due to the horrific ways citizens are being treated. If I was a citizen in North Korea, I would most likely be too frightened to protest due to the fact that I, as well as my family, would likely be killed for my effort. I can't even fathom the fear and horror North Korean citizens are experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree that North Korean has these harsh conditions living there, I would not protest If I was a North Korea citizen. I would rather flee to a different country.

    ReplyDelete